Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Totally Awkward Tuesday

I stumbled upon this post idea a couple of times and I love it! (And really, the most exciting thing that's happened today was buying a new planner...so....yeah...)

Here goes, my first T.A.T. ever...

As some of you know, I ran track and cross country in high school. I was pretty serious about it and my parents put me in summer track and I trained with a guy at Wesley (a hospital in Wichita) that was really awesome. He actually was in the Olympic Trails for the marathon, that kind of caliber of runner.

ANYWAY...my freshman year of high school a few of us were invited to try out to be a part of an AAU Nationals team called the Brocaw Blazers, coached by this really strange guy who thought he was a voodoo doctor or something.

But that's neither here nor there.

The point is, my BFF and my ex-boyfriend and a few other people from my high school team ended up making the team and being able to travel to Nationals in Tennessee. We traveled by bus (there were like 150 people on this team, mind you...so we had three bus loads of kids aged 5-18...crazy stuff).

So, my mom packed me all up with stuff and sent me off to run in a measly little 4K race. Easy peasy.

Or so I thought.

I came down with a cold. A really NASTY cold, it was actually allergies, but built itself into a cold. And remember that voodoo doctor thing? This is where it comes into play.

My coach didn't believe in medicine.

So I had to sneakily take DayQuil so he didn't know I was sick.

Did you know DayQuil and running don't mix? Yeah, me neither.

I made it a quarter mile into the race and PASSED OUT. I awoke to my coaches dad pulling me off the course so I didn't get trampled by the other girls. He was like 80. But he was way nicer than my stupid coach.

And, for some reason, my parents let me go back the next year...

We've only scratched the surface that is the awkwardness of Catie...tune in next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks so much for taking the time to comment. trust me, you just made my day!